Our Home

Our Home

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Update 06/25/14

Things are finally happening. I had a call from urology, Monday, with the results of the biopsy and I have prostate cancer which has, they believe, spread to the lymph nodes. The good news is things are beginning to happen to get started on treatment.

Yesterday I had a Power Port put into my chest. I was awake for the whole thing but didn’t really feel anything, it was like I knew what was going on but I didn’t care. Anyway the doctor did a great job and I haven’t had any problem with it yet just a bit of soreness.

I have started taking a drug called Bicalutamide a hormone, probably feminine, that is supposed to stop the prostate from producing testosterone which in turns lets the prostate send out the cancer cells. At least that is what I understand, all I know is it is supposed to suppress the cancer in the prostate and then next week we will begin chemo to take care of the lymph nodes. I will also begin getting a shot in the stomach every three months, this begins on Monday, and it does the same thing as the pill but with a slower release.

Plus the urology dept. has set me up for a bone scan and something else in Nuclear Medicine. I am glad we are finally getting to try and slow and stop this thing.

I feel good today, I have no pain from the surgery and by next week I should be in good shape. Of course then chemo begins you have a couple days of feeling bad, at least that is what I remember of Sarah’s chemo treatments and I suppose different drugs have some different side effects. I am ready for it and will be as upbeat and active as I can.

It is interesting I have gone from taking one pill per day to several pills per day, I guess that is what growing old is all about. Although I know people older than me who take nothing. However, I know there are people worse off than I and I pray they will be taken cared for properly.

Until later, have a great day.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Hi Mr. Ken, Just getting caught up on the blog. Rick sort of shares emails but I like to read for myself. : ) Much has happened in your lives since we last saw you two. I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this. Was so tickled when I saw your message that Sarah Jane's check up went so well. Thought it would be smooth sailing for you guys from there. I tend to be the overly optimistic one I know. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the house. We would love to see it and you. Are you up for a very brief visit? If not, no problem. We know it's short notice. It's the way we do life & understand that it doesn't work for every body. : ) We are traveling from Livingston, MT to Buffalo, WY today and could make the drive across NE before heading north to MN. Now let me see if I can prove I'm not a robot. : )