Our Home

Our Home

Thursday, July 17, 2014

7/4/14

Time for an update. I had the bone scan and other than two abnormalities on one rib on the right and the left, the bones were clear. The doctor doesn’t think it is anything because neither showed up on the CT scan, so we’ll see if the next CT scan shows anything.

I finished my three day chemo yesterday. For those of you who like to know the details, I received a shot on Monday, Leuprolide (Eligard), I get this every 90 days for the rest of my life. On Tuesday began my chemo treatments, I was given two drugs, Eoposide 240mg IV and Carboplatin 550mg IV, and for nausea they gave me Zofran (ondansetron) and Dexamethasone, good drugs because I didn’t get sick. I also had a bag of normal saline going in at the same time as the drugs. That is a lot of fluids which necessitated a couple trips to you know where.  On Wednesday and Thursday I received the same treatment as Tuesday minus the Carboplatin.

I felt pretty good after each treatment but today I am feeling a bit out of it, just feel a little off kilter. Sarah keeps telling me that will happen, they also warned me that beginning about next Tuesday I will begin feeling tired and will become more susceptible to disease because my immune system will be gone due to the chemo treatment. Then the white blood cells will begin to regenerate and by the time the next round of chemo begins on the 22nd.

With all the negative press about the VA I must say I am very happy with my treatment here at the Omaha VA. The people are very helpful and friendly and I can’t say enough about the nurses in the chemo area, they are fabulous. I get my chemo at eight in the morning and my breakfast is waiting for me when I arrive, and on Tuesday I even got lunch. Like I said they have become very patient oriented. Now I was told that it hasn’t always been this way at Omaha, a few years ago someone took the bull by the horns and turned the facility into what it is today, not to say they are perfect but they have to be one of the best in the country.

As I have said before I don’t believe I could be in a better place to receive the treatments I am getting and I am very thankful for that.

Thank you for all your prayers and well wishes. You never understand what that all means to someone until you are on the receiving end of them.

Until Later.

No comments: