Our Home

Our Home

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Des Moines, Jan 30, 2013

I thought I would write my blog, or at least begin it, I haven’t written anything for a week or so. Our internet in the apartment is not working, it seems Mediacom posted the payment for the service to a different account and now they can’t find it, at least that is what Mediacom is telling me. So I will start this and finish it when we get service.

Sarah has had two of the single drug treatments and other than the tingling in her fingers and hands; she has had less side effects with these treatments than with the others. She is a completely different person after the treatments, which makes it easier to see her go through them. Her treatments are now set up for every Thursday or at least that is the day we have requested them to be on.

I am driving for Enterprise, I don’t make much money but I am enjoying it. There are 80 drivers, they are trying to hire more, and we call in each evening to see if we work the next day. I hear some of the drivers complaining about the call in because they can’t plan anything, for me it is fine. I find the mix of personalities to be very interesting, I have ridden with several a few times and some like to talk a lot and others don’t, one of them has scared the daylights out of me with his driving but other than that I am having a good time with it. Usually we ride to a location and pick up cars to deliver them and maybe get another car at the drop off point or we car pool back to our home base. Nothing to hard or strenuous about it, my kind of job. Yesterday we went to Davenport and I drove a new Chevy Equinox back, it had 2 miles on it. Sarah and I had look at and driven one before we bought the Lexus and now I am glad we didn’t buy the Chevy. I liked everything about it except it was a bit confining, our car is a bit bigger and I like the extra space.

Today I was suppose to work but we have a winter storm going on outside with winds and blowing snow, so no road driving for us. I could have gone out and helped clean snow off cars and move them around so they can plow the parking lot but I don’t have anything but tennis shoes and I’ll be darn if I am going to freeze me toes off. The other reason is I got sick Saturday night and Sunday morning, I believe it was the 24 hour flu or some such thing, but I worked yesterday, probably shouldn’t have but I did and so I figured I would stay in today and rest.

Speaking of last Saturday the fire alarm went off again, five or six times since, we have been here. I decided to go down and see what problem was. Sixteen floors down, not too bad because I am going down, but dumb me decided to walk back up after the all clear was given because I didn’t want to wait for the elevators to come back to life. I will never do that again unless necessary, I thought I was going to die. I did find a couple of interesting things on the way up though. We have grocery carts in the parking garage to be used to carry your groceries or other large items to your apartment. The unwritten and logical rule is you are to take the carts back to the parking garage, second floor, when you are finished with them. I guess some folks are very smart, more likely just lazy, but I found two carts on different stair landings. It takes less than five minutes to return the carts.

One of the things I like is the way we get rid of our garbage; we have the “Chute Room” located across the hall from our apartment. All I have to do is put the garbage down the chute and it drops sixteen floors, I love it. Now saying that, remember what I said above about some people are not very smart or just plain lazy, well that also applies to getting rid of garbage. Someone put boxes of trash in the Chute Room and left it, I suppose they thought someone else was going to put in the chute for them. Well that didn’t happen, I saw the manager the other day and mentioned the things I saw about the carts and the garbage and she said they would take care of it. She said with the garbage they would go through it and see if there was anything with an address on it and then they would charge the folks them for the disposal of their trash. Human nature never ceases to amaze me.

A friend or ours, Orren, has been in the hospital for two weeks with pneumonia and has had a difficult time getting rid of it. I was able to go see him a couple times but then I got sick so that stopped the visits. The last I heard he was suppose to be getting out sometime this week. Orren, we’ll keep you in our prayers.

Even though it costs me money, I am very happy I have the truck parked inside, I go down every 7-10 days and start it and let it run for fifteen minutes or so. I don’t drive it but I do role it forward and back again just to keep the grease on the bearings, whether it does any good or not I don’t know.

The big RV show for the year is this coming weekend so I am going with Carl & Merilee are coming over to go with me. I love going and just looking but also Sarah & I have been thinking of going to a motor home so it will be nice to see what is available, not new but used. It should be fun to see.

Not much else is going on so I will close for now.

Dreams Do Come True

No comments: