Our Home

Our Home

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sheridan Lake, (Cont’d)

( I am in town today, Thursday,  and am going to post this. I promise I will try to get some pictures on here next week)


Thursday May 31, 2012

I made my way into Rapid City today. I had Sharon get some keys for me for the camper and they did not work. So I decided to take the time to drive in and get keys that would work. As you all know having keys made is an act of faith, usually you don’t have the door or object with you to try them as soon as they are made so you take them home and if they work great, if not you have to make the trip all over again. Our trip here is 25 miles one way so I was hoping the keys worked, they did. I also took time to go to Wal-Mart, the retirees Mecca, and pick up a few things, then it was over to Sam’s Club to get fuel in the truck.

I took my router and usbstick with me so I could sit in the truck and get on the internet. It didn’t dawn on me to go to McDonald’s or park in a hotel parking lot and use the free Wi-Fi but I was able to get all of my tasks done before the computer ran out of juice.

This afternoon Brad & Suzanne Abernathy came out to see us, they are working at Mt Rushmore this summer. We worked with them last winter in AZ. They are a lot of fun and being younger than us, have a lot more energy, they are working 40 hours a week. We went to dinner at Desperado’s in Hill City, I believe Brad said they were listed as the 3rd or 4th best place to eat in Hill City, I don’t remember the exact place they took. The food was very good and the portions were generous, it was $$ to $$$ on the price range. If you like bread pudding it was delicious.

Friday June 1, 2012

Nothing but work today, I worked the 2 till closing shift, which isn’t bad most of the time we are busy which helps make the time go by faster. We don’t have many reservations for this weekend which seemed not right, so when people coming in for a campsite said the internet reservation company listed our campground as full I knew why we did not have many reservations. There is nothing we can do here at the park because we have no electricity in the booth. I’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Saturday June 2, 2012

I worked the 9 till 2 shift today. We are still getting comments about the campground being full from those who tried to get a site online. I told the manager and he said that has happened before. Evidently what happens, as I was told, reservations have to be made a minimum of four days before the date you want to reserve your site and if you are less than four days the system says the campground is full. At least I know the reason now.

We had dinner at our place with Mark & Sharon, chicken, coleslaw and ice cream. We sat out at the picnic table, overlooking the lake, it was marvelous. Later Sarah and I walked the loop and registered two sites who had come in after the booth was closed. We had a brief thunder storm come through and it was all quiet after that. Before the rain I was sitting outside watching some campers down the hill from us. They have a little one, looks to be less than two, and he was trying to get his leg over a log, it was fun watching him and remembering when the kids were that age.

Sunday June 3, 2012

Today is cleaning day. After the campers leave we go around and clean the campsite for the next campers. Jim Larson, he lives in the campground all year, cleans the fire pits and the sites also, but he has a lot to do on Sunday’s so I want to help as much as I can, it doesn’t take too long and I kind of enjoy it.

We had a surprise today Howard & Linda Payne, www.rv-dreams.com, came to visit this afternoon, I have written about them before, they were a big part of helping us go full time. We had a great visit. Sarah and Linda began talking about beads and one thing lead to the other and Linda said she will find a bead store in Rapid City and let Sarah know on Monday where it is.

Monday June 4, 2012

I worked the beach area today and was somewhat busy but still was able to read a lot of my book. It got up to 90 today and I was ok until afternoon when I couldn’t find any shade to sit in out of the sun. I got hot and a bit burned but not bad. Linda found a bead store so we are going to meet there tomorrow.

Tuesday June 5, 2012

We left for Rapid City about ten, I wanted to go to the UPS store to deposit our pay checks. We have USAA bank and they do not have physical locations but they have an arrangement with UPS stores to deposit checks for their customers. I can deposit that way or with my mobile phone, I love the service. After depositing the checks it was off to find the bead store. I wasn’t difficult to find, when we got there Howard and I decided we would wait for the ladies in the coffee shop around the corner. I’ll have to remember this place for future visits, they have Wi-Fi, Sarah already says we are going to come into the bead store every couple of weeks.

The ladies got done at the bead store and came to find us and we went to a bread café, like Panera, but a local company and we had lunch. It was great. After lunch we parted ways with hugs and well wishes. It was great to get with Howard & Linda, I hope it isn’t two years between our next visit.

Wednesday June 6, 2012

I worked the main booth today, not much going on so I almost finished my book. I did finish it when I got home.  Now we have rain coming but it is something we need, it is very dry here so it is a welcome relief.

No comments: