Our Home

Our Home

Monday, May 23, 2011

A Great Time Visiting with Mom

We spent the last few days in a gem of a state park, Honey Creek State Park, not to be confused with Honey Creek State Resort Park. The sites are a mixture of gravel and grass, about 30 of them have full hook up and most of them are pull through. The gem part comes from the scenery as you walk or drive through the park. We spotted some old oak trees that had to be 100 plus years old. Here are some pictures of the campground;

DSCN2519DSCN2520DSCN2521DSCN2522DSCN2523DSCN2524DSCN2525DSCN2526

Our purpose of being in the area was to spend time with my mother and celebrate her birthday on May 21st. We drove in each day and spent the day with her. We arrived at the park Weds in late afternoon after an uneventful eight hour drive, I told Sarah we aren’t going to drive that far again in a single day.

Thursday we took mom to her favorite haunts, Dollar General, Hy-Vee and my favorite Ben Franklin. The Ben Franklin store has bulk candy, the same as the dime stores had when I was a kid. Whenever we go to Ben Franklin I look around, I might see a bargain, and then I head for the candy counter and buy sack of bridge mix. I don’t know why I like this type candy but I do, it is great.

Mom showed Sarah how to make kitchen crochet towels, you hand them on the drawer handles or fridge door or oven door, anyway now Sarah knows how to make them. Sunday we made a trip to Wal Mart for supplies to make the towels and then spent the rest of the day with mom. We did eat all of our meals except breakfast with mom, they eat good at her place. Sunday night Tara brought pizza and we ate with mom and had cake for her birthday. Bryan, Tara’s son, surprised mom by stopping by before he headed back to Iowa City.

DSCN2515

We had a great time:

DSCN2517

This morning we left for Des Moines about 9:30, I love not having to hurry to break camp. It was a beautiful day for driving and with no wind we got 9.2 mpg. I even loaded the camper with a full tank of fresh water. We stopped at Blue Beacon Truck Wash to get the truck and camper washed, I knew I wouldn’t get to it for a few weeks. They did a good job and it was reasonable.

Our goal was to get to a CORE park early in the week so we could get a non-reservable site. I had set my site on Prairie Flower Campground, we go there about 12:30. The pay station was closed and the board on the side said to find a spot and come back and pay. So we drove the entire park and did not find an open site. I went stopped at the entrance and the camp host saw us and I went over and asked him about a site. He said they were sold out. He said Cherry Glen, another of the four core parks, had some openings because they were not taking reservations because some of the sites were being upgraded to 50 amp. He said they had some open sites left, so we hightailed it to Cherry Glen. When we got there I stopped at the office and the camp host, who has a site next to the office, saw us and came over. She showed me where a site was and we drove to it but it was a tight fit and she directed us to another loop with more than one empty site. We drove to them and found a good site, no satellite but nice. We set up and the only problem I had was getting the unit level, I am still experimenting with the jacks and how to level the unit but we finally got it done, I think, we’ll see what it looks like tomorrow.

We are here until June 1st and then we head to Omaha.

Dreams Do Come True

No comments: