Our Home

Our Home

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Apple Creek Campground, De Pere, WI

Let me tell you about our first two days at this campground. We arrived around noon and when I checked in the lady said I was early. Ok, but she said no problem. Then she asked me to spell my last name, then she said oh you aren’t suppose to be here until tomorrow. Is that a problem, I asked? No, she said and began registering us. This campground is listed as not big rig friendly and not having sewer, but when I called for the reservation I was told they had full hook ups and big rigs can get into the sites. Well, I will tell you now not all sites are big rig friendly and even the one listed as big rig friendly may not be if the park is full and you come in after everyone else has arrived.

Some pictures of our site, A3, at Apple Creek Campground:

DSCN3071DSCN3073The pond isn’t very big but they do have catch and release for fishing.

DSCN3076Each site has a fire ring and picnic table.DSCN3077The sites are not very big but we got in with ease.DSCN3078DSCN3079DSCN3081DSCN3082Here I am cleaning the side of the camper above the slide. We did all three slides.

 DSCN3084DSCN3083DSCN3086DSCN3087Looking straight out of our camp site.

So we go set up, I cleaned off the bugs from the front of the camper. This job is not like it use to be, in fact I don’t mind it at all anymore since I started using DriWash n Guard on the front of the camper. The truck is also much easier to keep clean and nice looking. So Thursday came and went with no problems.

Friday morning we got up and took our showers etc. and came back to the camper just to hear the weather radio going off. There was severe weather heading with high winds and heavy rain heading our way. Sarah wanted to do some laundry and since we don’t have sewer hook up we decided to go to the campground laundry. We took the towels, all we were wanting to do, and headed for the laundry. I took my IPad and was sitting outside when the wind began to pick up and it began to rain, so I headed inside the rec room. Then the rain came and the wind began to blow. The chairs around the pool ended up in the pool and finally the inevitable happen, the power went off. Sarah didn’t get to finish the laundry here we finally put the clothes in a basket and went into town to a Laundromat to finish the wash. Actually it was a very nice Laundromat with good Wi-Fi so I was content to be there.

The power came back on for a short time in late afternoon but was turned off again later so the power company could cut some branches that were laying on the power lines. Once this was done they turned the power back on and it has been fine since.

Saturday we drove up to Dick & Teri’s and went for a ride with Dick. Teri and Catherine were finishing up some tasks for the wedding on the 10th. We went to Doc’s Harley Davidson and looked around. He has quite and establishment with more than just motorcycle sales. He has some buffalo, a camel, peacocks and small alligators, a restaurant and museum with old motorcycles, some of them he has restored himself and others are in original condition. He also had an area with cars from the 60s all of which have been restored and are in pristine condition. He has price tags on them ranging from $20,000 to $600,000.

From Doc’s we headed west to Shawano, WI and then north through the Nicolet National Forest, a very pretty drive even though it rained off and on. We did see a fair amount of camp grounds but the downside of them is they have no sewer and so it discourages longer stays, maybe that is what the powers to be want. We go to stop and see Paul and Tara’s trailer they bought, I don’t remember the name of the area, Tara is Sarah Ann’s sister.

We headed back to the house for pizza and wine. We got back to the camper around 8:30 and the end to a long but great day seeing the greenery and uniqueness of Wisconsin.

Sturgeon Bay, I had hoped to get to Door County but wasn’t sure we would. Well, Sunday Dick & Teri said we were going to Door County. Teri’s sister, Gloria, lives in Sturgeon Bay so we stopped and picked her up and headed north. We stopped in Egg Harbor for lunch at a restaurant in the Liberty Square Shops. Of course we had to look around in the shops and I found some wine and cheese that were absolutely great, can’t remember the names of the cheeses but the wine was a Sangria from Spain, very good wine.

We stopped in Ellison Bay for some smoked fish. Picture of Sarah and I with the bay behind us.


From there we headed for Gill’s Rock. This is the northernmost tip of the peninsula, I believe. We watched the ferry boats loading and unloading cars etc. This is the only way a person can get to Washington Island and the other islands which are inhabited during the summer and Washington Island is inhabited year round. The wind was blowing pretty good and it was interesting watching the ferries traverse the breakwater. I am not sure I would have wanted to be on the boat but they made it through so that is what counts. Here are a couple of pictures:

DSCN3096This is our group, Sarah took the picture, Teri, her sister Gloria, Dick and me.

The rest of the pictures are of the lake and the ferry boat. The wind was blowing hard and it was interesting watching the captain bring the ferry in to dock.


Our trip through Door County ended with, what I am told is a must, a visit to Wilson’s Ice Cream Parlor in Ephraim, WI. The ice cream serving is generous and very good.

We dropped Gloria off at her house and returned to Green Bay, decided what time Dick was meeting us the next day and Sarah and I went home. It was a great day and thanks to Dick and Teri we got to Door County.

Remember – Dreams Do Come True.

1 comment:

Janie and John said...

Looks like another great area in Wisconsin. We are up North near Bayfield and the weather is perfect. This is a great state with lots of beautiful places. We haven't been to Door County yet.