Our Home

Our Home

Monday, June 20, 2011

Merriam, KS

We left Omaha last Wednesday for Merriam, KS via I29. The news was saying I29 could be closed at anytime, we decided on I29 and knew we may have to detour but decided to see what happened. When we got to Hamburg, IA the water on the west side of the road went as far as we could see.

DSCN2672Water every where.

DSCN2676This farm is now an island.

DSCN2687The new levee is built on the shoulder of the north bound lane of I29.

We found at a rest stop south of Hamburg I29 had been closed, we were very lucky to have gotten through.

Walnut Grove RV Park in Merriam, KS is not very big and the sites are very close together. I had been warned by our neighbors at Griff’s, Dick and Judy, so I called and visited with someone at the park. We reserved a double wide site and she assured me we could get into the site. A gentleman checked us in and took us to the site and helped me get the camper parked. It was a back in site and the nose of the camper was with in two feet of the street. Since it was a double wide site we were able to park next to the camper. The only problem with the site was no satellite accessibility due to a tree, so we only had the stations we could get on the TV antenna.

We had a great time visiting with Steve, Lynne, Zack, Allison and Nick.

DSCN2701

Steve took Thursday and Friday off because Allison and Lynne had girl scout camp and Steve picked up Zack and Nick from summer bible school, then Zack headed for basketball camp. Thursday we went to Peachwave ice cream store. It is a self serve ice cream store, you choose from about eight different flavors, you can mix the flavors, then you put whatever toppings on the ice cream and they you pay by the weight. Friday night we went to the Vacation Bible School picnic and watched the kids put on a program about what they learned the past week. Saturday night we went out to eat at a new place called “The Rub” it is a bar-b-que restaurant, www.therubbarbque.com. The food was very good, it is set up as fast, casual dining, you order and take it to your seat. The food was very good and the portions were generous. My only suggestion to the owners was another choice of sauce, they make their own, because the sauce on the table was a bit spicy. The ribs are served dry and you add sauce to taste.

Sunday night Steve, Lynne, Sarah and I went to see the Green Lantern at the AMC theaters, http://www.amctheatres.com/Studio/, I had never been to cinema suites theater before. The theater was different, http://www.amctheatres.com/dinein/cinemasuites/. It was a great evening except for one minor incident, the server spilled Sarah’s soda on her. Over all it was a fun evening and the food was good.

Back thirty or forty years ago a show called Dr. Who was on TV, I saw a couple of episodes then and thought what a stupid show. Steve is a huge fan of Dr. Who and I started watching episodes from the last five years and really enjoyed them, he loaned me his collection so I can watch them myself. I really did enjoy the episodes we watched.

We left Merriam today about 8:30, it seems we always leave about the same time, and headed for Honey Creek State Park at Lake Rathbun arriving here about 1:30.

More later.

Dreams Do Come True.

No comments: